- Many unusal Game Mechanisms!
- Huge game board of 90 cm × 80 cm
- More than 220 cards
- Over 800 Big Troop Counters (including Knights, Varangians and Ships) and hundreds of others
The five groups whose part can be taken by the players are:
- Balduin IV. or Guy de Lusignan ruling the Crusader States as Kings of Jerusalem
- The Egyptian Rulers like Saladin, who founded the Ayubid Dynasty following the Fatimid Khalifs in Kairo
- The still mighty Byzantine Empire ruled by Manuel I. Komnenos and his less able heirs from Constantinople
- The clever Kilij Arslan II., Lord of the unruly Seljuks of Rhum sitting in Konya
- The Syrian Atabegs of Zangid origin or loyal to them, controlling Aleppo and Mossul and — sometimes — Damascus.
This period saw the rapid conquest of Syria by Saladin from his powerbase in Egypt against frantic attempts of the heirs and former officers of the Zangid dynasty to reestablish their grip on these holdings. Meanwhile the Crusader States warred and allied themselves with their Muslim neighbors while the Abbasid Khalifate in Baghdad gaining some leeway from Seljuk rule moved into a last Indian Summer. It also saw the disastrously defeated attempt of the Byzantine Emperor Manuel I. Komnenos at Myriekephalon trying to crush the Seljuks of Rhum while the Armenian petty kings in Cilicia fiercefully defended their independence.
- AGE 16+
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS 2—5 (best with 5)
- PLAYING TIME 15+ hours
- COMPLEXITY Medium to High